Friday, August 10, 2012

THRIFT STORE AUTOGRAPH FINDS


I hope everyone is enjoying their summer! I know I sure am! The summer is always an awesome time for me. My son is home everyday from school and so am I. When I'm not at the beach or hanging out with my family I am often out geting IP autographs or sending photos to get signed TTM. Over the past couple of weeks I have found a new way to expand my collection at a minimal cost and that is by checking out local thrift stores. I was inspired about a month ago after listening to the Autograph Weekly Podcast. I heard of a collector that found a Mickey Mantle signed book at a thrift store. I believe he only paid $1.99 for it. I knew that there would be a slim chance that I would find a Mantle signed book. There is almost no chance I would find anything signed by the Hall of Fame legend as I live in Canada and I don't believe Mickey Mantle ever ventured up to Manitoba in his travels. I started thinking about some of the great Canadian athletes that had book signings in Winnipeg over the past 20 years or so. Names such as Ken Dryden, Gordie Howe, and Bret Hart came to mind.
I decided to go to a thrift store here in Winnipeg called Value Village. I spent about 5 minutes looking through the sports autobiography section when I came across the book "Manon: Alone in front of the net". I couldn't believe it, on my first attempt looking for autographs at the thrift store I found an autographed copy signed by the first female to play in a National Hockey League game, Manon Rheaume.  I didn't even have to flip to the first page to find the autograph. Manon signed the front of the book in bold Gold paint pen. The book cost me $1.99!


A couple days later I decided to try out the local Goodwill thrift store which is a 2 minute walk from the front door of my home. I rummaged through a few books and found an autographed copy of Man in Motion signed by Canadian Paralympic athlete Rick Hansen and sportswriter Jim Taylor! Another great find and it only cost me .99 cents!

Yesterday, I visited another Value Village thrift store and found a LP album signed by The Romantics. The album is personalized to Debbie and is signed by the full band. The album cost me $1.99. So far I am 3/3 when checking out thrift stores for autographed items. Collectors in larger cities should have an easier time finding hidden autograph treasures.

I am interested in hearing your stories on autographed thrift store, yard sale and flea market finds. You can reach me on Twitter @FirstRow_ca. Reminder to all my fellow collectors that you can also trade and buy autographed items at my online store http://www.rackrs.com/canadiansportsautographs/Store/33 . Reminder to also subscribe to The Autograph Network for all the latest TTM successes from me and hundreds of other autograph collectors. Also, sign up to trade, buy, sell and show off your collection at Rackrs.Com. Hope everyone has a great summer! Be sure to check back everyday! Thank you again for your support!

Curtis
www.firstrow.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Row Collectibles